Laboratory Officer In Training
INFRASTRUCTURE & PLACE
- Join a team committed to putting People at the Heart
- Progressive organisation that supports flexible working
- 3 x two years fixed full term opportunities, centrally located in Parkes, Ballina and Russell Vale
Transport for NSW is responsible for coordinating transport services used by over 7.5 million residents, 800,000 businesses and 30 million visitors every year. Transport comprises several divisions which coordinate road, rail, bus and maritime services, always keeping the safety and comfort of our customers at the heart of what we do.
The Infrastructure and Place division is in the process of delivering an ambitious and once-in-a generation $28 billion program of public infrastructure works which will ease congestion, improve safety, create new places and connect communities for generations to come.
Right now, we have an opportunity for a Laboratory Officer Trainee to join us in Engineering Services Traineeship Program. Being a laboratory technician trainee allows you to work both indoors and outdoors and learn a modern trade craft with sophisticated testing equipment.
All trainees undergo a comprehensive and thorough training program for two years. The traineeship combines both on-job (practical) and off-job (theory) training.
You will learn your practical skills on the job, working with fully qualified technicians and become involved with day to day laboratory tests, such as collecting stockpile samples for auditing and field investigations. Practical skills will also be learnt through a TAFE course leading to a Certificate IV in Laboratory Testing.
At the Roads and Maritime Services, your TAFE course fee will be paid for as well as any other relevant training, such as understanding workplace safety and meeting environmental controls on site.
What you will be involved in:
- Prepare and test soil, asphalt and concrete samples
- Prepare calculations for test results and submit test certificates
- Calibrate test equipment
- Conduct testing on new and existing road sites
- Extract soil and pavement materials from roads, including sampling from stockpiles, to test their properties
- Assist with audits on quarry and road construction sites
We are looking for a self-motivated, committed and collaborative individual who has proven analytical, research and problem solving skills which will be supported by effective oral and written communication capabilities.
If you have an interest in geotechnical, materials and/or pavements and are looking for a career change or have recently left school and are looking for an opportunity to study while your work please read on and apply now.
- Completion of Year 12 or hold the Higher School Certificate or equivalent, having attained a high standard in mathematics and science subjects.
- Willingness to travel and stay for extended periods as part of job requirements and training.
- Applicants may be required to undertake a literacy and numeracy assessment at interview.
- The term of the traineeship is 24 months.
- The successful applicant will be required to comply with responsibilities relating to the terms of the Training Contract as a Trainee, which includes attending structured training and the attainment of Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques (Road Industry).
Please click here to view a copy of the role description.
Joining Transport for NSW, you’ll have access to a range of unique government benefits in a flexible work environment like no other. If you’re ready to step into this meaningful and rewarding role, we want to hear from you!
Don’t miss out! Apply today to register your interest.
Find out more about Transport for NSW at https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/about-us.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Great people come from all walks of life. At Transport for NSW, we are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and flexible workforce which reflects the community and the customers we serve.
We welcome and encourage applications from all people regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, cultural background, or sexual orientation.
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this position is Public Service Trainee Award ($17,125 - $ 35,033) per annum plus superannuation.
For more information on Employee Benefits at TfNSW please clickhere
For more information on how to apply for a role in the NSW Public Sector please clickhere
For any enquiries, please contact Kristie Steers on 0478 344 881 (ref 00007DU4)
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and brief covering letter (no longer than two pages) which addresses:
a) how your skills and experience suit the role, and
b) your most significant and relevant achievement
Applications close: 11:59pm, Monday 27 January 2020.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: